Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Shards of Honor


So, for starters I am not one to really read much sci-fi with space fights, aliens, and futuristic technology. So I was hesitant, but thrilled when it eased me into the idea with the concept of researching an alien planet. There’s something majestic about the thought of a planet with an ecosystem I can only imagine as similar as the wilderness of Yellowstone, with jellyfish hovering above the water and giant crabs scuttling about. Majestic as long as you leave out the part they can kill you. What I was not expecting was a romance novel. 

I’m not a fan of romance novels, nor am I a fan when they toss random romances into plots that don’t need them (that’s another story). But the romance that built gave me something I was familiar with to grasp onto while exploring an otherwise entirely new genre with spaceships, war, and strange politics. That being said, while I was confused at many points, that is all I was. There was nothing spectacular about the writing, the story was rather straightforward, and I found the characters rather shallow. One moment Cornelia would be mad at Aral, the next seemingly falling for him. Then of course they were torn apart due to their loyalty to their own people. 

Overall, the world building was great and my favorite part of the book. But the entire cliched romance bits made me hesitant to continue with the series. I think I may continue for the sake that upon looking at the rest of the books in the series, this is more of a prequel and not reflective of the rest of the series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment